Thursday, November 24, 2016

Counting Losers in Action -- 3 Spades

This post talks about counting losers in a trump contract. If you want some practice on doing that please read this post first:
Counting Losers

To avoid some losers you might have to try a finesse. If you are not sure what a finesse is try these posts:
The Finesse
More Finessing
Eight Ever, Nine Never

The reason why bridge players count losers in a trump contract is to determine whether or not Declarer has enough losers that they will not be able to make their contract. If Declarer has too many losers to make their contract they have to figure out a way to get rid of some of their losers! If Declarer has losers but will still make their contract they try to figure out if they can avoid some of their losers without jeopardizing their contract. Bridge players are a bit greedy in that sense.

So let's start. The final contract is 3♠. The opening lead is the J.

Dummy:
♠QJ72
Q32
43
♣AQ92

Declarer (me):
♠AKT63
764
KQJ
♣54

Count losers -- Remember I must either look at either Dummy or Declarer's hand to count losers:

Since I can use either hand to count losers, bridge players tend to count losers from the hand that has the longest trump. I will just count the losers in my hand.

Losers in Declarer's Hand:
♠ 0 losers -- I should not have to lose any trump tricks
3 losers -- I will probably lose the three tricks in this suit thanks to that lead!
1 loser -- I will lose the A.
♣ 1 loser -- I might have to lose to the K♣.

Not so good. I am in 3♠ and I have 5 losers. How can I try to avoid any losers?

Hmmmmm. I am probably always going to have to lose to the A, K and J and also the A. But I can try to avoid losing to the K♣. Can you see how?

I can always try the ♣ finesse. When I am playing the ♣ suit I will start from my hand (very important to start there!) with either ♣. If my LHO plays the K♣ I will win my A♣ and my Q♣ is good! I do not have any losers. If my LHO plays a small ♣ instead I will play the Q♣ from Dummy. If my LHO has the K♣ I will win my Q♣ and make my contract.

If my RHO has the Q♣ I will go down in my contract but at least I gave it a shot. That is the best way to avoid a ♣ loser.

So that's how I will try to avoid a ♣ loser.

FIRST thing I need to do is to TAKE OUT the opponents TRUMP.

So the first thing I will do when I win the first trick is to take out all the opponents trump. I will try to remember to end in my hand so I can try the ♣ finesse. So take out trump and try the ♣ finesse. It can't hurt and you might avoid a loser.

No comments:

Post a Comment